Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ
Home

Go Back   Official TouchBuddy Forum > Support > How do I... ?

Calibrating a Touchscreen in a Win 7 64-bit Environment
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junky

Bill Clark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calibrating a Touchscreen in a Win 7 64-bit Environment

I recently replaced a failing PC my touchscreen was attached to running under Windows XP 32-bit environment. My new system is now a Win 7 64-bit system.

Looking thru the TB forum, I found my answer, but I thought I might clarify the process a little more clearly so others might be helped.

I have the following HW & SM configuration:

LilliPut 10.4 inch monitor

EGalax Win 7 software version 5.11.0.9126 as of 5/24/12

This driver installed properly, but I was not able to calibrate it accurately. What happened is that when I pressed the stylus or finger on the touchscreen after calibration, the curser ended up approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inches down and to the left of my stylus. Following the advice in the link below, here is how I solved this issue:

1) Using the front panel vertical and horizontal controls on the touch screen monitor, I moved the visible part of the screen to the right side and up to the top as far as it would go.

2) After pressing the calibrate button (I used 4-point calibration), I used a stylus and pressed below and to the left and outside (holding the stylus in place) of the flashing target until it registered and moved on to the next target. I performed this step on each target until completed. After what seemed like a long wait, the calibration process indicated it had completed. You may, like me, have use a trial and error method to get this to work. Fortunately, after several iterations, I was able to get a reasonable calibration completed. It wasn?t perfect, but it was ?good enough.?

Here is the link ? http://www.touch-buddy.com/forums/pu...-windows7.html

Now it remains a mystery why this driver?s calibration didn?t work properly, but this workaround provides the fix. Of course, this may not be an issue for other touchscreen products and drivers. But, it appears that eGalax driver is used by many manufacturers?..here is a link to the website where I got this software for my touchscreen model:

EGalax - eGalax_eMPIA Technology Inc. TouchKit Windows 7 Driver

Bill Clark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Re: Calibrating a Touchscreen in a Win 7 64-bit Environment
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wild.Bill.Kelso

Snacko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calibrating a Touchscreen in a Win 7 64-bit Environment

I have had this calibration problem for years. Probably after I upgraded to Win7 64bit as well, but not sure. I used to touch in the opposite direction to offset the calibration errors. I was not sure if it was a problem with my hardware, of software. But now I know... It's the driver software. It sucks.

Using the above method is trial and error to offset it accuratly as Bill stated. Many trys, many errors.

I found this new driver that works perfectly! Unfortunately it's NOT FREE. They quoted me $109US for one license! But you can download and try it out with the eval version.

The Evaluation version actually will work forever for you, but it requires you to calibrate it every time you boot up. And you only get 100 clicks. So, if you can put up with that, it worked perfectly for me.

But I gave the guy a sob story about the cost and lack of money to make an old touchscreen simply work. So, he knocked off $30.

I thought about it. And since I had really stopped using my touchscreen because of this problem, I decided I would fork over the $80. The driver works perfectly after one 4 point calibration. This driver has many great features that I won't use, but if I had a larger touchscreen I would probably use them. It lets you pick a sound file to play when you touch the screen, so I use a click sound to sound like a cockpit switch.

Touch-Base Ltd - Universal Touch Screen and Controller Drivers

I was in contact with the developer I believe. His name was Dave and he was excellent.

WBK/aka Snacko

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!